This week’s project isn’t complicated. It isn’t even that exciting. It is, however, an example of using woodworking to solve problems, which is why I started doing it in the first place. Continue reading
You can never have too many clamps, but they can start to get in the way if you’re not careful.
I hope you’re all having a great holiday. I’m sure you’re all recovering from a New Year’s celebration of some kind. I could lie and say that I’m doing the same, but I’ve spent the whole week down in the workshop, so I’m exhausted for entirely different reasons. Continue reading
I was about to start this post with “This week’s project,” but this will be three videos in five days, so that doesn’t really work. Anyway, I took an old gun cabinet from the days when I owned enough guns to need one and converted it into a storage cabinet for paint, finish, solvent, and other flammable items. It took very little time, only used materials I already had on hand, and gave me more usable space in the shop (never a bad thing).
This is my first Shop Project video, but I plan to do a lot more of these. I have now published one of each of the main types of video I plan to make — woodworking projects, shop projects, and tips — and created a playlist for each. If you enjoyed any (or all) of these videos, good news: there will be plenty more videos covering similar topics in the weeks, months, and years to come.
Thanks again for watching.
I just released my first Tiny Tips video. This series will explore useful tips and tricks around the shop. You probably know some of these tricks already, but some may be new.
This first entry is about Melamine and Masking Tape — specifically, how to cleanly cut melamine-coated particle board without a dedicated blade (hint: it involves masking tape). Head over to YouTube to see the video.
Thanks for watching, and work safe!
The tape dispenser video was my first project for YouTube.
ABOUT THE PROJECT
This tape dispenser was patterned off of a white plastic model that my wife had in her office. We got it from an office supply store. It’s perfectly functional, but a little boring. I had a scrap of 8/4 walnut that I thought would be perfect for a project of this size.
HOW I DID IT
Since I was working from an existing object, the first thing I did was make a template. I keep a stack of graph paper in the shop, so I used a sheet of that and traced around the existing tape dispenser with a mechanical pencil. After cutting the walnut to length, I attached the template with spray adhesive and cut it out on the bandsaw. In the video, you see me cover the wood in masking tape; this is because it’s a lot easier to remove masking tape than spray glue. The tape keeps the wood from getting gummy.
To make the well in the center, I needed to saw off both sides on the table saw, cut the profile of the center piece on the bandsaw, and then glue the sides back on. As it turned out, the 8/4 walnut was actually a touch too narrow, so I ended up laminating in some 1/4 maple that I cut on the table saw. I could have done it on the bandsaw, too, but I would have needed to change blades and I like the cut quality from the table saw. That does come at the expense of a thicker kerf, but that’s okay.
The spool is cut from maple, while the axle is a 1/4″ walnut dowel that I made with a shop-made dowel maker. For the cutter, I took a section of cutter from a box of aluminum foil. That worked great.
WHAT I LEARNED
If I were going to make this project again, I would glue up the laminated blank first, then cut the template. This would save a few steps, as I would only have to cut the template shape once. Instead, I had to cut it three times. That’s obvious in hindsight, but when I started the project I thought the 8/4 block would be thick enough without adding any more material.
I would also wait until the end to cut the side bevels. Square sides would make it much easier to resaw the block before cutting the central well. I managed, but I felt silly for making the mistake.
Thanks for reading! Let me know what you think down in the comments, and stay tuned for my next project.