I am completely done shooting the project video. I have imported all of the footage and matched up audio and video, and I’d say I’m about 80% through my rough cut. I estimate that I need about 3 solid hours of editing before the video will be ready to publish, which I should be able to get done tonight.
In the meantime, here’s the second in my series of Shop Journals. I am enjoying these videos as a less formal alternative to my usual. They also give me more practice talking to the camera without getting nervous or stumbling over my words, which should translate into better, more frequent videos overall.
Thanks again for watching and I hope you enjoy the video. Work safe!
I expected to have a project video for you today, but my mallet had other plans. However, such is my devotion to you, my fans, that I have instead created this short update video so you can see what’s going on around the shop. I hope you enjoy it!
Work safe (safer than me!),
Things have been quiet around the shop lately. I’m adjusting to my unemployment and trying to get things done around the house. There are a lot of projects that fell by the wayside in the last few months and I’m taking the opportunity to get caught up.
On the video front, I’m working on a number of woodworking projects — a full-length mirror for my wife, a sliding-lid card box (and accompanying deck boxes), a video about which plastics are safe to use with which solvents, and a video about my new shop cabinet and organization system that I’m very excited about.
The push for organization also comes from the fact that I’ve picked up a number of new tools: a 6″ bench grinder, an 8″ bench grinder, and an oscillating spindle sander. I’m also trying to get organized in preparation for a lathe (a belated Christmas present from my wife (thanks, love!)).
I will have a video out this week, though. Guaranteed. Hang in there and thanks for reading.
You can never have too many clamps, but they can start to get in the way if you’re not careful.
I hope you’re all having a great holiday. I’m sure you’re all recovering from a New Year’s celebration of some kind. I could lie and say that I’m doing the same, but I’ve spent the whole week down in the workshop, so I’m exhausted for entirely different reasons. Continue reading
Hope everyone has a great holiday. We will be back soon.
My workbench is currently covered in boxes. That’s bad. Continue reading
I don’t like advertising. I figure most of y’all don’t like it either. As such, I decided early on that I was not going to shove a bunch of advertisements into my YouTube videos unless I had no other choice. Continue reading
This was a good week.
Monday and Tuesday were spent editing my Tape Dispenser video. This is the first video I’ve ever worked on, so in addition to the normal video editing work, I’m also learning the software as I go.
The rest of the week, I did very little cutting wood and a whole lot of sweeping sawdust.
I’ve been living with a sub-optimal layout in my garage for a long time now. At first, this was because I had to wheel everything up against the wall at the end of the day. Then it was because the garage was dirty, or full, or I had something big on the assembly table, or whatever. Editing that first video, the thing I kept noticing was how dirty the shop was. Scraps everywhere. Sawdust on everything. No system, no storage. Just a disaster.
After pushing the publish button on that first video, I took the natural break as an opportunity to roll all of my equipment out into the driveway, pick up the broom, and finally clear the place out.
With that done (or at least mostly done), I could start to put everything back. But since I’d taken all of that time to move everything, I might as well put things back in a better layout than before.
If I knew Sketchup, this would be a good time to use it. I don’t, though. Luckily, I had a stack of graph paper handy and I know how to use a knife.
My main complaint with the old layout is pretty obvious: there’s a major choke point in the middle. The shop vac and dust collector were on a cart behind the table saw, and it got in the way all the time. The table saw had no outfeed support, and long workpieces would hit the band saw. Ick.
For the new shop, I wanted to streamline things. I would move the table saw up to the front of the shop near the garage door. The assembly table would serve as outfeed support, and a shelf underneath would take the shop-vac and dust collector, eliminating the extra cart and giving me more floor space. Suddenly, my tiny garage started to feel a lot larger.
There’s still a lot to do, and a lot of stuff that isn’t in those drawings (mostly cardboard boxes, sheet goods, and equipment for my day job that I have nowhere else to put), but it’s a start. I’ll have a video out when I’m done.